Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Kind of Comfort Food

I first had Mizithra Pasta at Pegasus Pizza in West Seattle many eons ago as a child, except then it was known to me as Greek Spaghetti. I could never figure out what the crumbly white cheese was, but I knew parm didn't come close.

Each bite was a little bit of buttery, garlicky, cheesey heaven for my kiddie taste buds, and it's a dish I haven't outgrown, thankfully.

It's shockingly easy to make, not to mention fast, despite the fact it probably rates up there with many of the all-time heart-attack city foods, it's still one of my favorites.

You'll need 2-4 servings of spaghetti pasta.
5-10 peeled cloves of garlic (adjust according to how much you like garlic)
1/3 stick of butter
1 cup of grated Mizithra cheese

Boil a pot of water for your pasta. I don't suggest salting it because the cheese is plenty salty.
Put your pasta in.

Five minutes before your pasta is finished, make the sauce.

In a frying or saute pan, over medium-high heat, add your butter.

As the butter melts, add your garlic cloves.

Swirl pan around occasionally and watch closely for the butter to turn light brown to a deep amber.

When it is a deep amber, pull from the heat.

I remove the garlic cloves from the pan because I don't want it in my pasta. Kevin puts all the garlic on his pasta

Drain your pasta and toss with the brown butter in the frying pan.

Add your cheese and toss again.

Serve pipping hot.

No comments: